When people reach the age 35, 40, 45 many feel they are stuck in life – that someone else has been calling all the shots and they either have to live with it or do something about it. Some take the time to question why and initiate change while others simply shrug it off and continue down the same path. Too often people become complacent in their current circumstances and they let their dreams take a backseat to the day-to-day minutia. The routine of going to work, taking care of the family, being a taxi, cleaning, cooking and daily chores can quickly snub out any motivation to pursue their dreams and aspirations. But a busy lifestyle doesn’t mean that you can’t change your priorities and become the person you once dreamt of. Before you can effectively make the necessary changes you first need to know how people get stuck, below are 5 of the most common:
- Directionless – We all had goals and dreams when we were growing up. We make a plan on how we’re going to achieve them such as going to college or taking classes but something happens later in life and the drive to meet those goals is lost or newer challenging goals aren’t ever made. People lose direction and the motivation to make changes in their lives.
- Exhausted – In this dog eat dog world it is easy to overschedule, play less, work more and get run down. By the end of the day we are exhausted and don’t have the desire or motivation to pursue change.
- Overwhelmed – There just doesn’t seem to be enough time in the day to get everything done and there are way too many demands. The “to do” list never seems to get any shorter no matter how fast tasks are checked off. When a person is already overwhelmed the last thing they really want to do is add another task to their daily ritual.
- Hopeless –We all feel hopeless from time to time. We don’t know where to turn due to lack of focus and obstacles, pain and hardship can also lead to a hopeless state.
- Conflict – Have you ever thought that there is simply too much conflict in the world? Well there probably is but who has time to worry about the world when our daily lives are filled with it. Conflict happens at home with our children and spouse, at work with co-workers and trying to exit the parking lot after a football game. People that are surrounded by conflict find it difficult to avoid getting stuck in life. It is hard to push on while in the midst of poor communication, excessive arguing and misunderstandings.
- Worthless – If people don’t feel loved, appreciated or needed they can begin to feel worthless and worthless feeling people have a hard time being motivated to change their lives.
If you are tired of feeling stuck in life you need to consider the following questions. They will help you determine the type of change you want in your life and the goals needed to begin getting unstuck.
- Are you living someone else’s dream or your own?
- How do you envision your life being different?
- What are the things that matter most to you?
- What seems to be getting in the way of you making the changes you desire?
- What have you been doing differently to get unstuck?
Self-reflection, goal setting and prioritization of you daily life will help you initiate the change you need to feel better and move on. Be cognizant of the areas that may rob your motivation and set your mind to getting unstuck. Whenever you feel you might be slipping or you begin to negative self-talk – immediately change your thinking and think your way to success with positive self-talk. You can do it, you are good enough and nothing can get in your way if you don’t let it.