Motivation is the key to positive thinking and putting you on the path to a better future. It is no secret that motivation leads to success in all areas of life.
If you desire to make positive and lifelong change in your life, it benefits you to spend some time thinking about what motivates you. Going from negative to positive thinking can take time especially if you have spent a lot of time around negative people throughout your life and have self-defeating beliefs. Being highly motivated will help you reach any goal.
Visualize the New You
One of the most powerful tools for building self-confidence is visualization. It is an easy technique that can boost positive thinking. Visualization involves imagining the changes you want to make in your life. Start this process by picturing your success and the new you. If your goal is simply to be happier and more optimistic than imagine how that would look. How do you think you will feel? What improvements do you see in your life? A better job? More friends?
Visualizing, in detail, can help you strengthen your brain and boost your drive to be more successful. Visualization can help manage anxiety, reduce depression, increase optimism and even help physical performance.
- Identify your goal – for example, positive thinking, losing weight, running a 5K.
- Find a comfortable and peaceful place to relax.
- Get rid of distractions – turn off the TV, computer, radio, cell phone, etc.
- Close your eyes, free your mind of intruding thoughts and focus on feeling relaxed.
- Create a picture in your mind of how you will look and feel. Imagine yourself smiling, full of energy, sun beating down on your face with a warm gentle breeze. You are happy as you achieve your goal. If your goal is to lose weight imagine what you will look like, how good you will feel eating healthfully and getting physically active. View your life as it will be, not as it is now.
- Take a second to feel the pleasure and enjoyment of attaining your goal.
- Run through this exercise a couple times a day when you are relaxed, in the morning before getting out of bed and at night before falling asleep are great times to practice.
Believe in Yourself
Don’t let other people tell you that you can’t do it or that you aren’t smart enough, strong enough, or skilled enough. Motivation is what leads to success and as long as you believe in yourself you will find success in your life. Don’t give up on your dreams and aspirations but set realistic goals and do your best to meet them. When you fail, learn from your mistakes and move on.
Motivation comes and goes, you may encounter bad days or weeks and want to give up on your goals. Avoid giving in and consider the factors that motivate people.
- Pleasure – Pleasure is the ultimate motivator while pain will stop a bull in its tracks. Being a positive thinker opens up doors and provides more opportunities for pleasure.
- Look Better – You are simply going to look better walking around with a smile on your face and a sparkle in your eye because life is good.
- Social Opportunities – Let’s face it, positive people are more fun to be around. Try to develop new friendships and improve the current relationships with the people in your life.
- Try New Things – You may be more inclined to try new things with a more optimistic approach to life.
Celebrate Your Success
Even something as simple as changing from a negative thinker to a positive one can be difficult. A great way to motivate yourself is to reward yourself from time to time. You aren’t going to reach a stage of perfection. You will still have good days and bad but the goal is to have more good than bad and view life differently, not through rose colored classes but by taking an optimistic approach and a take charge attitude.
Motivation is Key to Change